June 3, 2021
- The National Unity Government has adopted the seals, policies, and programmes of the 13 ministries.
- The official website of the National Unity Government https://nugmyanmar.org is now launched. It has web pages for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of International Cooperation, the Ministry of Health, and the Ministry of Human Rights. The web pages for other ministries will be available soon.
- The National Unity Government is releasing today a statement 1 regarding the Rohingya. The statement sets out that they will be referred by NUG as ‘Rohingya’ and that the 1982 Citizenship Law will be repealed and replaced with a new law based on proper citizenship criteria. It also states that the government will continue working with the international legal system to hold the military accountable for the crimes committed against the people, including Rohingyas, over many decades.
- The NUG wishes to tell the world that the number of forcibly displaced people in the Kayin State, Shan State, Kachin State, Chin State, and Magway Region from the attempted coup of 1 February 2021 up to 27 May 2021 is 83,900. The number of displaced people up to 29 May 2021 at the IDP camps in the Karenni State is more than 80,000. The Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management has already delivered humanitarian assistance worth around 300 million Kyat to the IDPs in Kayin State, Karenni State, Yangon Region, Shan State, Kachin State, Mon State, Chin State, Mandalay Region, and Tanintharyi Region.
- The Ministry of Defence has released Basic Principles of the People’s Defence Force 2 (PDF) and the Military Code of Conduct for the People’s Defence Force 3 (PDF). The Code of Conduct sets out Rules for soldiers, for prisoners of war (POWs) on the relations with civilians, including women and children. The Ministry has also released a statement 4 on the members of the Tatmadaw.
- The National Unity Government (NUG) of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar and the Chin National Front (CNF) signed an agreement on 29 May 2021 to fight together against the dictatorship and to bring about a shared democratic federal system.1
- Under the guidance of Ministry of Health, Myanmar doctors in the UK have started delivering weekly online lectures via Zoom from 29 May 2021 and 30 May 2021 for
medical students in Final Part II. The lessons are delivered on Saturdays and Sundays. There were more than 2,000 participants. The lectures are being based on the curriculums of medical schools in Myanmar and those in the UK (Leeds, Nottingham, Manchester etc.) and reflect the context of the present situation in Myanmar, so the lessons will first and foremost focus on emergency care. The schedules for weekly lectures will be announced in time on the Facebook page of the Ministry of Health 5. The lecturers will work with doctors in the US and Australia to add more lessons.
- The Ministry of Health’s motto is people-centred approach and that we recognise and honour all healthcare professionals caring patients by giving up their lives. A protocol has been set up for the early detection and prevention of COVID 19 third wave in Myanmar. It includes strict guidelines for the individuals and the families, instructions for the suspects and mild cases, step by step guidelines for how to deal with seriously ill patients. These guidelines and protocols will be available on the Ministry Facebook and website for public information. There will be more updates on telemedicine centers which will be set up and be opened 24 hours for advice and treatment for the suspects. The preventative measures must be distributed, and the guidelines must be followed diligently as prevention is far more effective than the cure.
- The Ministry of Planning, Finance and Investment welcomes Total’s suspension of their cash dividends, payable to the military junta. This cash dividend suspended by Total is however a small amount compared with the full revenue flows from Total to the regime. Therefore, the regime will continue receiving substantial amounts of revenue, risking that more money is spent enabling violence. We urge the oil and gas companies to block and cease all payments generated from oil and gas industry as soon as possible. These payments are crucial for the continuation of the military council, an organization of state terrorists.
Please use the links provided as footnotes for further information.