Announcement No. (2/2023)
January 17, 2023
- On 10th and 11th January 2023, illegal military junta fighter jets bombarded Camp Victoria, which serves as the headquarters of the Chin National Fronts (CNF) on the India-Myanmar border. A number of civilians were reportedly killed and injured in the aerial attack, and civilians infrastructure , including three homes and local hospital , were destroyed.
- According to the Chin National Front sources , the junta jets entered India airspace during the course of attack. Other sources on the ground reported that some junta bombs hit Indian territory.
- This is not the first time that the illegal military junta has used the airspace of its neighbours during its atrocity operations, with Bangladesh and Thailand earlier examples. Nor is it the first time that junta bombs have struck foreign soil during such air raids.
- The National Unity Government therefore calls on Myanmar’s neighbours , in the interests of regional peace and security and the protection of civilians, to block the illegal military junta’s use of their airspace for its aerial attacks.
- This is consistent with the United Nations Security Council’s condemnation of attacks against civilians and civilian infrastructure in its resolution 2669 , its demand for an immediate end to all forms of violence , and its urging of resistant and de-escalation .
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
National Unity Government